Friday, 9 November 2012
Creative Parenting 101
So lately people have been asking me for creative parenting ideas. For the life of me I can’t figure out why J
So here are some ‘non-traditional’ creative parenting techniques that I have used or my friends have shared with me. I hope you giggle but it may confirm that I actually have no idea what I’m doing. Meh…I’m sure having a hell of a good time trying to figure this parenting thing all out.
I also have homework for you! I am asking you to send me any strategies you, your parents or your friends have tried. Only creative ideas please, I already know how to orchestrate a perfect time-out and how to count to three. Shhhh….I actually have no idea what is suppose to happen when/if I get to ‘three’.
Share this with your friends!! Leave your innovative parenting wisdom in the comments, email me through the blog, post on my Facebook or tell me if you see me out and about. We can use a secret operation code if you have your kids with you. Just whisper in my ear ‘The trolls fly at midnight” and we will go from there.
I won’t tell you which ones worked and which ones were strictly for entertainment purposes, but I can promise you that I laughed…mostly at myself.
· Ok, this one is not rocket science but I am an EXPERT at removing doors as a result of slamming. Doors are a privilege, not a right at my house. I can have those bad boys off their hinges in under a minute. Oooh…look at that; I just thought up a new Minute to Win It Game.
· We have a ‘Friendship Tie’ at my house. When the sibling fighting just won’t end…I tie one arm of each offender to the others arm. Don’t stress, it’s not a rope or handcuffs; it’s a fuzzy bathrobe tie. Learn to work together ladies. Like a three-armed obstacle course if you will. Same idea applies with the ‘Let’s Get Along T-Shirt’. Just buy a large men’s t-shirt, they will both fit in it just perfectly. You can even bedazzle it if you want.
· Growing up my mom made my sister and I bake a ‘co-operation’ cake together when we were fighting. I wish you could hear my inside voice even as I write that. Like nails on a chalkboard. To this day Fruit Cocktail Cake makes me vomit…but we do get along, mostlyJ
· Lying an issue? Tell them you are going on a special mommy date for ice cream. Get them really excited…hype that shit up!! Just as you are about to leave the house…tell them you are not going.
When they ask why....calmly tell them “I lied”.
· When computer privileges have been lost and I am out of the house…I simply put the keyboard and/or mouse in my purse with me. Way easier to transport than the desktop. It makes me smile that they can still see what privilege has been lost…but sadly can’t use it.
Yes, you may say naa naa naa naa boo boo here….quietly.
· Messy room? You clearly have way too much stuff to organize. Here, let mommy help you with that. Voila…a pillow, bed and blanket should be much easier to keep tidy.
· There is one ticket out of grounding at our house…clean up the dog pooh. No shovels or buckets allowed. Baggies only. May I remind you I have a Great Dane. I am much, much stricter and hand out way more groundings in the spring when the snow melts. Like layers of grounding if you will. I have also had dogless friends bring over their kids. I provide the baggies…aren’t I niceJ
· And of course may I suggest a Silent Strike. Although I’m pretty sure I have used up all my mileage on that one.
I have more...but I can’t give it all away can I?
Your turn!! What have you done as a parent when the expert advice just didn’t work out?
Please be aware that I am not liable for anything you try blah blah blah. I think I need to say something about not endorsing any specific idea and I cannot guarantee any results. Ooh, and if you choose to apply any methods you are using them at your own risk. That’s should cover my ass rightJ Oh yeah, I should probably mention that by sharing your ideas with me you are giving me permission to use/print them. Well doesn’t that sound all legally and grown up?? Don’t worry; I’ll give ya all a shout out.